The Ufunguo Scholarship programme is a major education initiative to raise the level of computer literacy among young Kenyans from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. The programme aims to benefit 1% of school leavers by providing access to quality ICT training courses managed by its delivery partner, the Institute of Advanced Technology (IAT).
Today, Computer literacy is a pre-requisite for almost every white-collar job.
This is especially true in the prevailing economic climate, in which most employers are not prepared to sponsor their employees in acquiring ICT skills, even though these are needed in their workplace.
As in many countries, Kenyans live on either side of the ‘digital divide’. The minority urban elite not only have access to higher quality general education and life-skills development but also to ICT training, both at their secondary schools and in private colleges.
Those from disadvantaged economic backgrounds – the majority – do not.
Acquiring the more technical qualifications that could lead to a career in ICT poses a bigger problem for the majority, as training for these qualifications is quite expensive.
The Ufunguo Scholarship covers the following:
- International Computer Driving License (ICDL) – An international qualification which enables one to demonstrate their competence in use of computer applications
- User Support Professional- Equips one with technical knowledge in computer maintenance, it covers both Hardware and software aspects
- Network Support Specialist (N+) – Equips one with skills in handling computer networking.
- Computer programming – Aims at providing students with an entry point for a career in programming using Visual Basic (VB) and Java Languages.
- Web Design
Applications for the Ufunguo Scholarship are open to Young Kenyans who have either recently cleared high school or are currently in Form Four.
Application forms are available at all IAT Centre at a fee of KSh 50. There are no other charges in the application process. Alternatively download and complete an application form (see links below)
Fill in the required fields
- Attach a recent passport size photo
- Staple a copy of either KCSE result slip or Certificate
Completed forms should be either:
Dropped at any IAT Centre
Sent Via Mail – registrar [at] iat.ac.ke
Send Via Post – P.O. Box 165-00618 Ruaraka