Policy, Research, Advocacy and Campaigns Officers Jobs at ActionAid
Location:Cluster- Khwisero, Kakamega County and Bamburi, Mombasa County
The holder of the position shall be responsible for coordinating research activities and identifying policy alternatives with Local Rights Programs (LRPs) and engage proactively with the counties as well as link with other partners, networks and coalitions at cluster levels to influence policies. The position is expected to work closely with the Cluster Programme Manager in shaping policy issues and campaigns in the cluster.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify and engage with key policy issues and key allies for ActionAid Kenya in line with CSP priorities within the cluster;
- Undertakes policy research, analysis and advocacy in the county and Local Rights Programme (LRP) in order to link local issues to the national policy agenda
III. In collaboration with the cluster manager develop advocacy tools which includes but not limited to policy briefs and position papers for influencing county engagement processes
- Initiate strategic relations with networks, coalition, social movements, alliances for policy advocacy and campaign
- Facilitates capacity building of communities, partners, networks and staff on thematic advocacy and policy issues
- Working closely with the LRPs to develop proposals in raising resources for implementing programme, policy and campaign work;
VII. Support the implementation of participatory and alternative models of policy influencing at the cluster level;
VIII. Supporting preparation of periodic reports (monthly, quarter, semi-annually and annually) on campaigns and policy initiatives as required by various donors, ensuring quality and timeliness;
- In collaboration with communication team develop and operationalize a system of knowledge management on policy and campaigns engagement processes through regular documentation of best practices and promotion of shared learning;
- Ensure policy work is informed by the voices of women and people living in poverty and exclusion; and
- Any other lawful duties that may be assigned from time to time.
- a) Qualifications
Appointment to the position will be made from persons who have:
- A bachelor’s degree in development or other related social sciences from a recognized University, A Master degree will be an added advantage;
- A minimum of three (3) years post-academic experience in policy work;
iii. Demonstrable experience in leading and working within influential coalitions and networks;
- Demonstrable experience in advocacy and campaigns on good governance;
- Demonstrable experience in building capacity of partners and staff on public governance;
- Strong understanding of public policy and democratic governance and its relationship to pro-poor development; and
vii. Experience of managing partnership relationships.
- b) Key competencies
- Ability to conduct policy analysis incorporating advocacy and women’s rights strategies;
- Ability to influence and negotiate at different levels;
iii. Ability to conduct research work and demonstrable proposal-writing skills;
- High degree of integrity, dependability and confidentiality;
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, negotiation and communication skills;
- Self-motivated person able to work without supervision; and
vii. High level of IT proficiency in use of MS Word, Excel, Access, Power-point, and e-mail.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
ActionAid is an equal opportunities employer. Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.